Re: How do I remove a package and all of it's dependencies?

aptitude autoclean after an aptitude remove --purge package-name is
supposed to work but doesn't always.  How well that works depends on how
well the packages themselves were made in the first place.  When it
doesn't work you'll run something and see package removed but not
purged.  The package lsdb is one such package.  I had to go around and
clean up its mess afterwards.  That I did by using updatedb first then
locate lsdb then I went around and removed the artifacts left over.

On Sat, 22 Oct 2011, Aniruddha wrote:

> When I install a package with apt-get  it gets installed with all it's
> dependencies. However when I remove a packages some dependencies are
> left on the system. For example:
>
> to install:
> apt-get install lxde
>
> to remove:
> apt-get remove lxde
> apt-get autoremove
> deborphan
>
> Does not remove all packages. Lxterminal, openbox and  pcmanfm are not
> removed.  In Arch I can remove a package and all it's dependencies
> with pacman -Runs lxde  and in Gentoo with emerge --depclean. Is there
> a similar command for Debian?

Jude <jdashiel@shellworld.net>
If I got a nickel for every message I've already sent supporting Microsoft
Windows and its applications I'd have enough to retire on comfortably no
matter what the stock market did.