Building Apache 2 from source so that it can be moved

im trying to build Apache 2 from source in such a way that the install location (as specified by ./configure --prefix=) can be changed at a later date.

The problem Im having is that despite changing the absolute paths which have been hard coded into umpteen shell scripts (e.g apachectl), the binary itself its still looking for the config file at the old location and I cant work out how to change it.

everything is in a common parent directory called apache2 which is currently in my Gnome desktop folder and it runs fine from there but I want the flexibility to be able to move it to another machine and put the apache2 directory somewhere else without having to recompile.

Is this possible?

Thanks
Andrew