Re: ssh/dsa strange issue

Joao Ferreira Gmail wrote:
> a) user jane on one system transfers her public DSA key to account john
> at a given remote host. it works. jane accesses john's account without
> typing a password.
>
> b) now the same user jane transfers her public DSA key to account mary
> at the _same_ remote host. it does not work. she get's prompted for a
> passord (she get's access by typing mary's password)
>
> my guess is that there must be some difference between john and mary
> accounts. I can not realise what it is (shell is bash on both).

Usually people trip over permissions being too open.  Assuming you are
using /home try this to look at the permissions.

  $ ls -ld /home /home/mary /home/mary/.ssh /home/mary/.ssh/authorized_keys
  drwxr-xr-x   9 root root  4096 Feb 28  2011 /home
  drwxr-xr-x 126 mary mary 16384 Oct 20 23:17 /home/mary
  drwx------   2 mary mary  4096 Sep 29 18:31 /home/mary/.ssh
  -rw-r--r--   1 mary mary   809 Oct 28  2010 /home/mary/.ssh/authorized_keys

All of those directories should be writable only by the owner and the
owner should be mary.  The typical problem is that people will have
one of those files to be group writable.  In that case sshd refuses
the authorized_keys file due to the possibility that another user can
write to the file.

> Please find bellow the output of "ssh -vvv ...." for both situations.

The verbose output of the sshd would be more helpful.  Easiest to run
it on another port temporarily.

  # /usr/sbin/sshd -d -p 2222

And then try to log into it on that other port.

  jane@localhost:~$ ssh -p 2222 localhost

You might see an error like this one on the sshd server debug side:

  Authentication refused: bad ownership or modes for directory /home/mary

Bob