Re: Why is exim installed by default?

On Mon 17 Oct 2011 at 13:03:05 +0100, Andrew Wood wrote:

> Because Im interested and I dont want to remove it if it does something
> important.

This is a good attitude to take.

As part of a standard install we get exim4. The Mail Server task
probably installs more mail related packages such as spam filtering
capabilities, but I haven't looked to find out. Why give us exim4
and why is it important? Because any unix-like system is viewed as
incomplete without an MTA.

Let's guess at your situation. You run GNOME/KDE with a Desktop
Manager. You never use a virtual terminal and you have a mailer
which deals with sending mail. In this case you will never see any
benefit from exim4.

But it is still there, running all the time. You derive no advantage
from it so it could be removed. On the other hand, you are not very
bothered so you leave it on the system. No problem: it will take a
little bit of memory but otherwise it is benign.