Re: GPT on BIOS system partitions scheme

Certainly, you are correct :)
As general advice, 8 sectors is better because of advanced format. But
then you also have to account for modern SSDs, which have erase block
sizes between 128 and 512kB (256 or 1024 sectors), and for partitioning
hw-raid devices you need to know the stripe size of the underlying
device. When taking that all into account, the MS default of 2048
sectors is quite understandable.

But the drive in question was 600GB (iirc). Too large for an SSD and
too small for advanced format...

It's an Advance format, check the fdisk output posted above.
This is a replacement drive, first one threw up inexplicable bad sector errors after few weeks in use. This would only happen if the OS is installed, once I wipe the drive, there would be no issue. First time it happened, I thought the system config might be wrong.  I re-installed debian. Same issue after 4 weeks. Again wiped it clean, no bad sectors.

Mentioned this to WD, they could not come up with any explanation, asked me to return the drive and try the new one. If this one behaves the same, they reckon my system might be at fault.

I regret getting this drive. It's the biggest laptop drive available, that's the only reason for choosing.
--
Kind regards,
Yudi