Re: Why is exim installed by default?

On 17/10/11 08:47, Andrew Wood wrote:
> Why is an MTA (exim) installed by deafult on Squeeze even if the
> 'Mail Server' option is not selected during installation?

Old habits die hard ;-)
It's there for the same reason nfs is - some people consider it a
requirement. Your basic desktop build doesn't.

> Does it actually serve any purpose on an out of the box basic
> installation?

Yes.

Is it required for a basic *desktop*?
No.

> Andrew

You can (usually) remove is without problem - it will shave a few
seconds off your boot time.

First check that it's not actually required with a simulated removal:-
# apt-get -s remove exim4* | more

If it looks fine - proceed to pull it all off:-
# apt-get --purge remove exim4*

I usually remove it from desktop machines.

Cheers