Re: isc-dhcp quibble

Marc Auslander wrote:
> This is the sort of thing that drives non-experts crazy.

I consider myself well versed and it drives me crazy too.

I find the isc-dhcp-server name to be inconvenient for my fingers to
type at the keyboard.

> init.d entry is called isc-dhcp-server, as it the /etc/default entry
> the /var/lib directry is called dhcp
> the /etc directory for the config files is called dhcp
> the files in /etc/dhcp and /var/lib/dhcp all start with dhcp

The previous package name was dhcp3-client.  It was recently renamed
to isc-dhcp-server presumably to move from a "too generic" name to one
in the ISC namespace since there are many dhcp clients available.  If
I recall correctly it was at one time simply "dhcp" but was split into
dhcp-client and dhcp-server as part of the new naming policy.  And
then subsequently renamed to dhcp3-client for version 3 so that it
could coexist along side version 2.  The dhcp3-server used /etc/dhcp3/
as the directory name.  So at least along with the isc- prefix naming
the /etc/ name is now simpler.  I would hate to see that directory
changed to /etc/isc-dhcp/ and all of the other packages that install
scripts there would then also need to change.

Bob