Re: How to get version information in common notation

On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 09:45:19AM -0500, Harry Putnam wrote:
> How can I quickly get version information for packages I have
> installed.  I mean the common kind of notion used throughout linux.

If you want the version information for PACKAGES, try "dpkg -l|grep
'^i'", though I'm not entirely certain what kind of notation is
"commonly used throughout linux".

> Not the unusual non standard notation one gets with `apt-get versions',
> which is not suitable for copy/paste:
>
> ,----
> |    aptitude versions xorg
> |   ihA 1:7.6+9           testing    500
> `----
>
> I mean like `pkg-version'
>
> Or at least something like what X and many other packages will output:
>
>   X -version
>   X.Org X Server 1.11.1
>
> But not all packages are so kind and not all use the same cmdline switch
> so you end up wasting time trying a few or `man pkg' to see if it even
> has such a flag.

Part of the problem may be that many packages provide a number of
commands not equal to one. How would you propose finding the version of
a library or a documentation package?

--
Darac Marjal