Re: PCManFM in SID

On Mon, 10 Oct 2011 18:36:50 +0000 (UTC)
Walter Hurry <walterhurry@lavabit.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Oct 2011 13:28:27 -0400, Robert Blair Mason Jr. wrote:
>
> > Hi list,
> >
> > Just a quick question - does anybody know where I can go to figure
> > out the status of getting a new version of PCManFM?  The version
> > currently in SID is still pretty old and has some showstopper
> > (won't start, crashes, etc. - these have been filed for some time
> > but not fixed) bugs for those of us on amd64... I had to get the
> > latest from SVN in order to get a working file manager.
>
> Can you point to these showstopper bugs? I'm on the stock PCManFM
> with Squeeze x86_64 and it seems to work just fine.

Well, for one, when I log in, the desktop starts up but it is
impossible for me to start new instances of pcmanfm (it immediately
crashes, no meaningful return code).  The current version is 0.9.8-1
(fairly old, the upstream release is 0.9.9), and there hasn't been an
update for sid for quite some time. I'm on git (last updated in ~late
august), and I've had no problems whatsoever. Integration with GVFS and
authentication has also gotten a lot better.

PCManFM Releases:

0.9.9 - August 2011 - this version works fine
0.9.8 (SID) - October 2010 - this is the version that's having bugs
0.9.7 (Squeeze) - May 2010 - this version works but isn't as nice in
handling removable media.  I was using this and apt pinning until I
upgraded from source.

--
rbmj