Re: how to gather info for reporting problem

On Sat, Oct 08, 2011 at 05:18:37PM -0500, Harry Putnam wrote:
> Attempted to install a full kde setup today but landed in the soup
> once it was done.

Are you running stable testing or unstable?

> I just get a black screen with a terminal emulator running, no menus
> are available with mouse clicks or anywhere on the screen in terms of
> an icon.  Just the terminal.  Any apps I open are slapped up into the
> top left corner where the title bar becomes inaccessible.  If I open
> anything else it covers the previous app, then I have two with the one
> under inaccessible.  Can't even be raised back to top.
>
> So it clear enough something or things are boogered up.
> How can I determine what pkgs were installed and which removed during
> the kde install?

You could probably check the dpkg logs under /var/log/dpkg*

> I was prompted a few times about uninstalling and installing
> things. And I remember one prompt that asked me if it was ok to leave
> a list of dependencies unmet.

And you said OK?

> I just don't know debian well enough yet to competently find that kind
> of info and summarize for a discussion here.

If you are running stable, then a serious problem has occurred, and you
won't be the only one affected by it. Although, that is no consolation,
all reasonable efforts will be taken to fix it. Watch this space.

But, if you are running testing/unstable then thanks for helping to test
for bugs.

Can you get to a the text console, and as root type: "apt-get -f install"
(without the quotes) and paste the output here?

P.S. If you don't want any surprises -- run stable.

   -- Napoleon Bonaparte