Re: LXDE Menu editing

On Sat, 08 Oct 2011 23:25:14 +0100
Richard <richard.bown@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> On Sat, 08 Oct 2011 13:03:03 -0500 (CDT)
> Blair Mason <rbmj@verizon.net> wrote:
>
> > Oct 8, 2011 11:52:04 AM, richard.bown@blueyonder.co.uk wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > I'm trying out LXDE, much less system load, very noticeable .
> > > Is there a menu editor similar to gnome alcatel, I'd like to
> > > customise the "other" menu section.
> >

> > You can try lxmed : http://sourceforge.net/projects/lxmed/
> >
> > Alternately, there's always editing the *.desktop files.
> >
> > EDIT:  Accidentally replied off-list.
> >
> > --
> > rbmj
> >

> Thanks I downloaded it and I have JRE installed, but it starts up OK,
> but the menu it shows looks nothing what's actually there.
> I may have to edit the desktop files.

By chance are you talking about the debian menus?  I had a 'problem'
with LXDE when I first installed where the menu contained a bunch of
random programs that don't need their own menu entry or duplicates all
shoved into the other category.  Purging menu and menu-xdg fixed the
'problem' for me.

I don't want to provoke anyone or start a flame war, but why does the
debian menu system still exist?  It had it's place in the past, but all
modern DEs and panel/menu systems support the FD.o XDG application
standards.  Maybe it's a little strong to say it should be dropped (I
can see uses in some special cases), but why is it enabled by default?

--
rbmj