Re: Kernel upgraded two or three times since install

On Fri, 07 Oct 2011 21:36:24 -0400 (EDT), Mark Panen wrote:

> I noticed my kernel has been upgraded two or three times but i am still
> sitting on the original:
>
> "uname -r
> 2.6.32-5-amd64"
>
> AFAIK
>
> Is this right?

Yes.  One needs to distinguish the kernel version from the package
version.  When running the stable release (Squeeze right now), the
kernel version will normally not change.  But the package version
will change with an update.  To see the package version, enter the
command

   dpkg-query -l linux-image-2.6.32-5-amd64|grep ii

This will display the package version, which right now is
2.6.32-35squeeze2.  This changes with each update.

> linux-headers are kernel updates right?

No.  linux-headers-* packages are not kernel image packages, they
are kernel headers packages.  Kernel headers packages are a portion
of the kernel source code.  They are data declarations needed to
compile out-of-kernel-source-tree kernel module source packages
when the kernel source code is not installed.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :