Re: want to try KDE 4.6 from sid on squeeze

Hi Juan!

Am Freitag, 7. Oktober 2011 schrieb Juan R. de Silva:
> I'd like to try to co-install KDE 4.6 from sid to my standard GNOME
> squeeze install.

I do not know what you mean by co-installing. When its on a different
partition or logical volume, thats fine. On the same / you would need a
chroot or a self-compiled KDE in a user´s home directory.

> Hence 2 questions:
>
> 1. Is it stable enough now or it's better to go with KDE 4.4 from
> squeeze repo (though to have 4.6 instead is quite tempting)?

In my personal experience KDE 4.6.5 that is currently in Wheezy and Sid
runs pretty well. Better than the 4.4.5 (I think) in Squeeze. That might
stem from my observation that KDE developers since some time put quite a
lot of focus on bug fixing. Thus it seems to me that KDE 4 matured enough
feature- and architecture-wise to go into more bug fixing again.

Only regarding KDEPIM there lays a bigger challenge ahead. KDE 4.7 has
KDEPIM 2 which is Akonadi based also for KMail and I read from various
problems with migrating previous mail accounts to the new setup as well as
performance issues. I do not use it yet, as Debian Qt/KDE team did not
release packages for it officially - and that might be for a reason. I am a
bit reluctant about KDEPIM 2 altough I think in the long term it will be a
very good move.

> 2. I'd like it to co-exist with my current GNOME installation and get a
> chance to login to either of them as needed. What is the best way to do
> it?

I think self-compiling to a user´s home directory would work best.
Although its quite a bit of effort.

Using a chroot would poses quite some limitations and challenges, if you
want to log in to KDE 4.6.5 inside a chroot from KDE 4.4.5 kdm outside a
chroot. I think this would at least need some additional scripting and I
am not sure whether its possible to maintain low level enough hardware
access for compositing.

You may try KDE 4.6.5 in a virtualbox or KVM guest, but this way you also
won´t get the desktop effects easily. If you do not need those, a virtual
machine IMHO would be the best approach.

Aside from using inofficial (!) backports but then you will get KDE 4.6.5
system wide and not only for one user.[1]

[1] http://www.debian-desktop.org/doku.php

Honestly I would test KDE 4.6.5 in some virtual machine and if its good,
upgrade the main system to Wheezy and be done with it ;).

Ciao,