squeeze upgrade fumbles

I just upgraded from lenny.  Not that I wanted to - but you have to
keep up.  So it's the worst of all projects - hope when you're done
that nothing has changed.

Problems:

1.  Several times, the curses configuration window got stuck in the
sense that is ignored some or all input.  No way out but to kill the process -
usually whiptail, once dpkg.  It happened during the grub update, and
again in dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc - which left me with a system with
no MBR installed!  Had to do install-grub by hand.  In the grub-pc
case, I could not check the box needed to select a drive for the MBR,
but enter did take me to the next screen.

2.  Grub by default creates boot entries for everything in sight and
then sets the default as the first.  Which in my case was an old lenny
kernel.  Had to change deault to saved to make reboot work.

3.  Emacs23 is a complete disaster for me.  It doesn't see a font
which is seen by xterm and by emacs22.  And the gtk menu bar is broken
- silly font and does not work.

4.  A complete mystery - .forward in my home directory stopped
working.  After flailing, I recreated (almost) the same contents and
it started again. I had |/usr/bin/procmail, what works is |
/usr/bin/procmail with a space.