Re: Squeeze: cannot connect to Netgear 150N DGN1000B

On Fri 07 Oct 2011 at 14:59:15 +0200, Laurentiu Pancescu wrote:

> my DSL modem died today after 10 years of service, so I bought a Netgear
> 150N DGN1000B.  I cannot connect to it via wireless from my netbook
> running Squeeze (Linksys WRT45GL works, but it doesn't have a DSL modem).

The Linksys WRT45GL could be connected to the Netgear and used as an AP.
That should occupy you for the remainder of the afternoon. :)

> I think the router is working, since I can connect to it very quickly
> with a Mac mini and an iPod Touch.  I tried with both
> network-manager-gnome and wicd, without any success.  I didn't see any
> unusual messages in the netbook logs, except "composite sync not
> supported".  After a few attempts to connect, I started to get kernel
> oopses due a NULL pointer dereference in the kernel and the machine
> wouldn't shut down properly after that.  That's a vanilla Squeeze
> install, no non-free packages, not even proprietary kernel drivers
> (EeePC 1005PE).

I don't usually like recommending people make drastic changes to their
setup but you appear in the mood to experiment.

Purge wicd and anything Network Manager related. Check wpasluppicant is
still installed. Backup /etc/network/interfaces and alter it to have

auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wpa-ssid WHATEVER
wpa-psk WHATEVER_IS_ON_THE_NETGEAR

in addition to the lo interface.

Reboot and watch the boot messages. (Or do ifup -v wlan0). Check what
wpa_supplicant does in /var/log/syslog.