Chicken blink

I see a disconcerting behavior when in an xterm.  If I do anything
that would normally ring a bell like pressing bkspc when the cursor is
already at the left most position, and there are many other instances
that provoke the behavior.  If I do any of them I see something very
like a chicken blink.  Like when a chicken blinks its inner eyelid.
The white one, the one humans don't have.

The most madding one is when I try to use completion.  If I do
something like:  mkdir somedir

With each spc I get a chicken blink and a little more of the directory
name. It might be described as looking like a scanner when the green
light passes down the page.

(I run xterms with black bacground.  I mean the real xterm, not an
imposter but /usr/bin/xterm)

I see a white color start at the top of xterm and pass down to the
bottom. It lasts about 1 second... maybe a little less.

I just moved to debian from gentoo, and when running gentoo I did not
see this phenomena, so apparently something is set different.

Can anyone guess what is the cause of these flashes?  And maybe advise
something to try to stop the phenomena?