Re: mailer

On Mon, 03 Oct 2011 09:24:12 +0100
Richard Bown <richard.bown@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi
> I've now upgraded Claws to 3.7.10 and the crashing when filtering has
> ceased. Even when filtering 4 years of mail.
> I found a problem with trying to upgrade with synaptic as it puts
> gnome as a dependency. Also perl !
> to around this I downloaded the tarball and built and installed,
> getting the required lib as needed from running configure.
> However when I ran the thing it would use SSL.:(
> I un-installed both the built and the old version that was already
> installed. I was then able to install from testing and as the required
> libs were already in there was nothing to be deleted as a dependency.
> There really needs to be a trap put in to stop a software install that
> will break the system.
> This seems to a be a problem in ALL the distros I've used where there
> is a graphic package tool, redhat, Suse, Mandriva,fedora have the same
> issue.

There is a graphic frontend, besides ncurses, for aptitude now, but I
don't have it installed. the 'aptitude safe-upgrade' command takes care
of business, along with apt-listbugs.
Glad everything has worked out O.K.
Regards,

Weaver.

--
"In a world without walls and fences,
what need have we for Windows or Gates?"