Re: newbie questions- laptop wireless for Wheezy with Gnome

On Mon, 03 Oct 2011 15:02:37 -0700, keitho wrote:

> I hate to say this, but I am confused about how to configure wireless on
> my Wheezy laptop system.

(...)

> But I can't seem to figure out which software packages I need to do
> this. I am downloading the deb packages on a different computer then
> transfering them via USB flashdrive to my laptop, then using dpkg -i to
> install them. Of course I have had to get all the package dependencies,
> which takes time. So far I have installed wireless-tools,
> network-manager, wpasupplicant, network-manager-gnome, and a bunch of
> lib dependiencies. But I don't have an network-manager-applet. When I
> look online for an applet I only find the source, not a binary deb
> package.

(...)

That's strange.

If you installed wheezy and selected "desktop" and "laptop tools"
templates, network manager (as well as the required files, like the
applet) should have been installed automatically by default :-?

BTW, the package which contains the applet is "network-manager-gnome"
which you seem to have installed so you should be able to launch it by
running "nm-applet --sm-disable".

Greetings,

--
Camaleón