Re: IP address depending on the MAC

On Sun, Oct 02, 2011 at 06:31:59PM +0200, Ireneusz Szcześniak wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm planning to install an image of Debian to a number of computers.
> Each of these computers will have the same configuration except the
> hostname and the IP address.  The IP configuration has to be static.
> I can't use a DHCP server.
>
> QUESTION; Is there a way to assign a hostname and a static IP
> address at boot time depending on the MAC address of the computer's
> network interface card?

I'm not sure about hostname but there IS a way to assign a static IP
address to an interface based on it's MAC address. It's called StateLess
Address Autoconfiguration (SLAAC). Basically, you take the 48-bit mac
address, modify it a little (mainly adding FF:FE in the middle) and you
now have a 64-bit interface identifier. This becomes the second half of
your IP address.

For the first half of the address, you will either use the standard
link-local prefix, or if you can use a route-advertising daemon
(package: radvd), you can advertise a site-wide prefix to allow the
machines to be addressed from anywhere. I suspect, though, that the
link-local prefix should be fine for your purposes, though.

--
Darac Marjal