Re: [OT] British vs. American English

On 2 October 2011 13:57, Stephen Powell <zlinuxman@wowway.com> wrote:

> ~  I suspect that different national bodies convened to
> decide on standardized spelling, and the two organizations occasionally
> picked different standard spellings for the same word.  That's why
> there are separate spelling dictionaries for British English and
> American English.

There never has been a single point of authority for spelling (or,
indeed, grammar)  in English (unlike the French Academy which has
sought to standardise French) and it was only after the great Doctor
produced his "Dictionary of the English Language" that spelling began
to become standardised. That was, IIRC, 1755, and was followed by
others, including Ash who produced his in 1775.

Obviously, with the variation in spelling until that time- and long
after- it is hardly surprising that early UK emigrants to North
America would spell some words differntly. What is interesting is that
there was not more drift between the two sides of the Atlantic after
the Revolution. Obvious trade and diplomatic ties would ensure that
this would be limited, and there are comparatively few major
differences when one consideres the complexity and extent of the
language.

I do find the subject fascinating.

Terence