Re: wrestling with xrandr

On 02/10/11 01:47, Harry Putnam wrote:
> Scott Ferguson <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com> writes:
>
> NOTE: Correction to monitor native resolution posted in OP Native
> resolution: 1920 x 1200  (I previously said 1900x1280)

Thanks.
It would be appreciated, greatly, if you could use "Reply" to continue a
thread - saves searching through lots of posts in order to patch
together all the needed information.

> [...]
>
>> What Debian release are you running? $ cat /etc/issue
>
> Debian GNU/Linux wheezy/sid

OK. You must be mixing sources (hopefully with judicious pinning).

> (Installed from new 11.4 install disc (the small one))

Lisi's question and your response is noted.

>> <snipped>

>>> Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1440 x 900, maximum 4096 x
>>> 4096 VGA-1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y
>>> axis)
>>

>> ^^ Do you use VGA out? If so please provide monitor/display
>> information.
>
> No

Thanks

>>> DVI-I-1

Note: ^ that "output" name is determined by the manufacturer of your
video card (another reason I didn't supply a working example -
insufficient information about your system).

>>> connected 1440x900+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
>>> 550mm x 340mm 1280x1024      75.0     60.0 1440x900       59.9*
>> <snipped>
>>
>> Do you want 1440x900 resolution?
>
> I don't really know what I want yet... My old xorg.conf setting was
> on a 17.5 inch crt... now I'm on a 25.5 inch lcd.
>
> Fonts look pretty terrible with the current settings... Actually it
> looks worse that it did on the crt.

Your CRT monitor was a different aspect ratio - less width, similar height.
Your current, default, resolution is 1440x900 - anything higher will
either require custom >100dpi font settings (or a telescope) in order to
read small fonts.

I'm assuming you know that a bigger screen means smaller fonts? Some
people find that counter-intuitive...
What fonts do you use and what DPI do you have set?
Do you have antialiasing and subpixel hinting enabled? If not, then
enable them.

>>> TV-1 connected 720x576+1440+0 (normal left inverted right x axis
>>> y axis) 0mm x 0mm 720x576        50.0*+ 1024x768       50.0
>> <snipped> Are you happy with only 720x576 resolution on the
>> TV-out? 1024x768 is possible.
>
> No TV is done on this monitor

xrandr is just reporting what resolutions are available for TV-out
connection - not whether what is connected is a television, or whether
TV is piped to that display (or from).
TV-out is just an analogue output designed originally for the old
analogue CRT type television sets (with S-video/SCART/VGA inputs)

> But I'd still like to know how to get 1024x768.

I'll add it to the xrandr command.

> [...]
>
>> You wanted 2048x1536 for panning - I'm not certain that's possible
>> without losing accelerated 3D and reduced colour depth. I also
>> don't know you card, so can't advise as to it's ability to do DVI
>> and VGA and TV simultaneously.
>
> As I mentioned above that 2048x1536 is from xorg.conf that was being
> used on a 17.5 in crt... so now I'm not sure what it would have to
> be to allow plenty of planning on a 25.5 screen.  This monitor has a
> maximum resolution of 1920 x 1200

Noted.
I'd suggest using the current default resolution (1440x900) and a
panning resolution of 1680x1050 (saves scaling problems)

>> What do you get from:- $ cvt -v 1440 900 $ cvt -v 1680 1050 $ cvt
<snipped>

Thankyou.
We have some identical displays - but not video cards, that information
gives me an idea what your card is capable of.

Brian has pointed a bug report that might be relevant. I believe the
scaling problem is still outstanding - but (with new mode creation)
panning is definitely not a problem with nouveau (I use it on my
netbooks). I don't know about Testing though (and can't test it this
weekend).

Which video driver are you using?
(eg. nouveau, debian nvidia, or, proprietary nvidia).

I'll test it tomorrow (when the weekend guests depart) and post the results.

Cheers