From: keitho@strucktower.com [mailto:keitho@strucktower.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 28, 2011 9:44 PM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Recommendations for ripping problem discs and organizing mp3's by
genre?

A few years ago I digitized my LP collection onto cdroms, and only now am I
getting around to converting them to mp3's. I'm talking hundreds of homemade
discs, many with two different albums on each disc.

I thought I would ask for some advice on ripping and organizing. I am
running Wheezy with Gnome (and CLI sometimes)

Currently I am using GRIP. I like it, it works fine, but it doesn't deal
well with problem discs. For instance, it tries very hard to resolve a
problem reading the disc, but sometimes gets hung and doesn't allow aborting
or skipping a bad track during ripping. Any suggestions on how to best deal
with problems discs and which software to use? Is there a howto or tutorial
on how to deal with problem discs?

Secondly, I would like to be able to create playlists based on genre, to
then use that playlist in random mode with a console program similar to
mpg123. Suggestions on how to do that? Would it be as simple as creating
folder trees for each genre then using a script to generate a playlist? or
do you know of a easier way?

There are so many programs to choose from I just thought I'd get a few
recommendations from the list. Some of the programs I've looked at seem too
feature-rich for my needs. I prefer simple-but-robust programs and using
built-in CLI commands when possible.

Thanks,
Keith Ostertag