Re: Wireshark detritus

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 08:45:33PM +0100, Lisi wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I am wanting to install the  Wireshark tarball, preparatory to which I ran
> aptitude purge to clear the deb out, together with its config files.  I then
> ran locate to find any files left so that I could remove them manually.  I
> got this:
>
>  Tux:/home/lisi# locate wireshark
> /etc/wireshark
<snip>
> What would be a sensible way of proceding from here?  Manually delete them one
> by one?  Or is there a simpler (=quicker) way??

More than one.

for f in $( locate wireshark ); do
if [ -f $f ]; then
    echo $f is a file;
    #rm $f;
elif [ -d $f ]; then
    echo $f is a directory;
    #rm -f $f;
else
    echo $f not dealt with.
fi
done
Remove the comment marks (#) when you're sure  you've got it right.

find / -type f -name '*wireshark*' -exec rm {}\;
find / -type d -name '*wireshark*' -exec rmdir {}\;
This latter pair are problematic unless you first run without the -exec ...
and are sure you're only removing things you don't want.
G'luck,
Mike

--
Satisfied user of Linux since 1997.