Re: Reducing kernel compilation time

On 9/24/2011 6:55 PM, Stephen Powell wrote:
On Sat, 24 Sep 2011 17:15:51 -0400 (EDT), Stan Hoeppner wrote:

5 hours?  Did you say 5 hours?

I have a 10 year old dual Mendocino 550 machine with only 384MB of PC100
that takes about 30 minutes to compile my custom kernels using make -j2.

I'd guess you're including the kitchen sink.  Don't build the hundreds
of driver modules your machines won't ever use.  That is the key to
reducing build time.

+1

Absolutely, Stan.  Building a "lean and mean" kernel, one which only
contains what the machine needs, is where the big savings are.  But
configuring the kernel to do that takes time.  And it is easy to make
a mistake.  For example, I've learned from experience that I need
SCSI support in my kernel, even though I have no SCSI adapter in my
machine.  So much stuff emulates SCSI now, or uses SCSI protocols
in communication.

I'd bet that omitting the SCSI layer hamstrung many folks who tried to use libata for the first time. It got me too. :) It forced me to go and read up on how libata works, so it wasn't all bad.

--
Stan