Re: Reducing kernel compilation time

On Sat, 24 Sep 2011 12:18:47 -0400 (EDT), Camaleón wrote:

> What do you mean by "kernel-package"? Debian's vanilla kernel?

"kernel-package" is the name of a Debian package, as in

   aptitude install kernel-package

It is not a kernel.  It is a collection of scripts, configuration
files, etc. that are intended to aid in the process of compiling
a kernel and building a Debian binary kernel package.  The make-kpkg
command is one of the scripts in the kernel-package package.

> No, sources have to be from upstream.

kernel-package can be used with official Debian kernel source packages
or with pristine kernel sources acquired directly from upstream.
When using upstream kernel sources directly, one cannot use the
Debian package version in the "--revision" option, since there is
no Debian package version.  You have to make one up.  Other than
that, it works just fine for upstream kernel sources.  I've done it
before, and for similar reasons as you.

> Yes... I've already¹ "walked" through that link, and it's fantastic for
> Debian starters, very well explained with detailed steps (have you
> considered adding it into Debian's wiki, or at least -if not the full
> article- a link to it?)
>
> ¹I noticed you pointed to it in another thread where someone asked for
> something similar ;-)

The Debian kernel team seems to think that kernel-package should be
considered deprecated.  (Although, as far as I know, the author of
kernel-package does not share that opinion.)  Therefore, I'm not sure
that my kernel-building stuff would be welcome in the official wiki.
The kernel team encourages the use of "make deb-pkg".  But I personally
don't like "make deb-pkg" because of its "one size fits all" build
philosophy.  For example, it always produces a headers package, and I
often don't need a headers package.  With kernel-package, I only get
the packages that I ask for.  And since your goal is to reduce kernel
compilation time, I would think that you would not want extra packages
produced that you don't need.  That takes additional time.

If you decide to try kernel-package, make sure that you apply the
patch file listed in the web page.  It won't work properly with a
version 3 kernel unless you do.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :