Re: fcron as cron

On 09/23/11 10:20, Florian Weimer wrote:
Has anybody try to use fcron instead of Vixie cron?  How well does it
work in practice, especially if you've got tons of existing cron jobs
written for Vixie cron?

I'm mainly interested in time zone support because our systems run on
UTC, but we have jobs which need to run daily according to local time
and our current workarounds aren't nice (hourly execution with an
additional check, or edit the entries twice a year).

I'm definitely not an expert, but I suggest you take a look at bcron since the author goes to great lengths explaining how one of his main considerations was dealing correctly with DST.

No idea about performance with 10e9 jobs, but just about every cron I know of is better than vixie in that it doesn't wake up every minute :)