Re: Debian Testing Xfce4.8 startx problems

On 22/09/11 20:30, Perry Thompson wrote:
> On 09/22/2011 04:03 AM, Scott Ferguson wrote:
>> On 21/09/11 22:58, rypervenche wrote:
>>> I am having trouble getting Xfce to work with startx. I have followed
>>> the instructions in the doc files for xfce4 and xfce4-session, but I am
>>> still unable to mount drives, start mylogin keyring, and shutdown via
>>> the GUI (shutdown and restart are grayed out). I even tried adding the
>>> proper command to visudo, but no success.
>>>
>>> Things I have tried to solve this...
>>>
>>> 1. Creating ~/.xinitrc with "startxfce4",

>>> "exec startxfce4", and

Only exec startxfce4 should be needed in ~/.xinintrc

>>> something with ck-launch(er?) in it as well. I have tried adding
>>> #!/bin/bash, #!/bin/sh to the beginning and making the file executable.
>>> None of these have worked.
>>>
>>> 2. As per the doc file, it says not to use a .xinitrc file but a
>>> .xsession file, so I have tried the same things with that still with no
>>> success.
>>>
>>> 3. Adding my user to the list of sudoers to give myself the permissions
>>> to shutdown and restart, but even that does not work.
>>>
>>> I am currently using lightdm, however I would like to be able to start
>>> my computer straight from the command line if possible.

That should be possible.

What happens when you?:-
$ startx

>>> Is it possible
>>> that because I am using Testing that I am missing some vital package(s)
>>> for this to work properly?
>>>
>>> Any and all help is appreciated. Thank you.
>>>

>> I'm assuming you have xdm installed:-
>> $ dpkg --get-selections xdm
>>
>> If yes, what happens when you?:-
>> # /etc/init.d/xdm start
>>
>> Also, what Debian release are you running?
>>
>> Cheers
>>

> No, I do not have xdm installed. I want to run my system without a DM.

Then why install lightdm?
NOTE: I'm not familiar with lightdm - only know it uses WebKit.

What happens when you?:-
# /etc/init.d/lightdm start

> The xfce4 doc states to simple put "exec startxfce4" in ~/.xsession so
> that consolekit and policykit will be called upon, however they do not
> seem to be.

Are they installed?

>  I was hoping to be able to get this to work without having
> to make custom pkla files.
>
> I am using Debian Testing.

Cheers

--
"People say to me, "Bill, quit bringing up Kennedy, man. Let it go. It
was a long time ago. Just forget about it."