Re: Convert a pdf to text

On 09/22/2011 01:31 AM, Sharon Kimble wrote:
I have a 96 page pdf file that I need to convert to text in one run.
I've imported it into inkscape but that only converts one page at a
time. I've tried using pdftotext but i cant work out the syntax for
that so am unable to test it out properly. I've tried pdfedit but that
only works on one page at a time and doesnt convert it to text.

Can anyone help me out with suggestions for converting the pdf in one
go to text please?

Many thanks
Sharon.
According to LibreOffice.org, there is an extension to LO that will import pdfs. I have not used it, so I don't know if it will read the whole file in at once or not. It may or may not be built in to LO 3.3, Google does not say, but if not you should
be able to download it for that or an earlier version.
Apparently there is also a downloadable extension for OpenOffice 3.0. (These are
very likely to be the same code.)

Finally, if there is nothing that will read more than one page at a time, it should be possible to write a script that would take the labor out of it. If you can't figure out how to do that, somebody on the list here can probably help. (Not me--I'm a green novice at bash scripting!) Then share the script with the readers here--I'm sure it
would find happy users!

--doug