Re: install network-manager without network

On 21/09/11 19:17, roberto wrote:
> Hello, i've recently installed debian 6.0.2.
> I need to setup the network connection by network-manager and
> network-manager-kde.
> Can i supply the two .deb packages and then install them using:
>
> dpkg -i package_name.deb
>
> ?

Yes - you may get a message to the effect that they can't be configured
due to missing dependancies... in which case:-
# apt-get -sf install | more
will show you what is required
I it tells you that the two packages you installed using dpkg are going
to be removed - don't worry - just make "apt-get -f install" happy, then
re-run the dpkg -i *.deb command.

NOTE: you can satisfy the apt-get -sf install dependancies using dpkg -i
(if that makes sense)

> The system already has wireless-tools and wpasupplicant.
>
> I cannot understand why the base kde installation doesn't provide a
> front-end for network-manager.

Because it's not needed. ifconfig works fine - and there are several
reliable wireless configuration apps.

network-manager is just a daemon (which is not always reliable):-
http://userbase.kde.org/NetworkManagement

network-manager-kde is supposed to do all sorts of whizz bang things:-
http://dot.kde.org/2009/11/07/introducing-kde-4-knetworkmanager

Your milage may vary with those tools - which may be another reason they
are not part of a default KDE install.

A quick flick through the debian-kde list might be helpful if you have
problems with those apps.

You can also install kdenetwork-filesharing and knetworkconf if you want
to be able to do network setting and sharing in System Settings.

> Thank you in advance !

Cheers

--
"People in the United Kingdom and outside the United States share my
bemusement with the United States that America doesn’t share with