Re: Unrecognized passwords.

On 21/09/11 12:43, Eneko Gotzon Ares wrote:
> Hi ByteMagicians ;)
>
> After an apparently successful* installation of the PowerPC port of the
> latest Debian Squeeze version on an external hard drive, the root and
> ordinary users' passwords seem not be recognized by the system: I cannot
> log in.
> The passwords are quite complex (letters, numbers, punctuation, signs)
> but they was recognized without problem by the Debian Installer.
> I believe that I can not enter passwords always wrong.
> I have other complex passwords that I use normally.
>
> It seems that the only solution is to try another installation :/
> perhaps using more simple passwords.
> Any comments?

A re-install seems a bit extreme. How about just changing the root
password then using passwd to change the user passwords?

http://www.debianadmin.com/forgot-root-password-or-reset-root-password-in-debian.html

NOTE: you may have to plug your external drive into a non-Mac machine in
order to access it's file system using a live CD.

> Thanks :)
>
> * During the installation I have had some troubles with the optical
> drive, may be because I'm learning English and so I take more time to do
> the tasks.
>
> P.S. I'm a humble Mac user that thinks that free(dom) software can offer
> a very interesting relationship between users and developers. Thanks for
> your impressing skills :)
> --
> Eneko Gotzon Ares

I'm assuming the install went OK... where did you install GRUB to - the
internal drive or the external?

Cheers

--
"People in the United Kingdom and outside the United States share my
bemusement with the United States that America doesn’t share with