Re: mdadm and fsck

19/09/2011 15:59, Joey L wrote:
> Hi Andrew -
> Thanks for the reply -
> I tried to mount the individual drives that make up my /dev/md1 and this
> is what i get :
>
> root@rider:~# mount -o ro -t ext4 /dev/sdc1 /mnt/sdc1
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdc1,
>        missing codepage or helper program, or other error
>        In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
>        dmesg | tail  or so
>
> root@rider:~#
> root@rider:~#
> root@rider:~# mount -o ro  /dev/sdc1 /mnt/sdc1
> mount: unknown filesystem type 'linux_raid_member'
> root@rider:~# mount -o ro -t ext4 /dev/sdc1 /mnt/sdd1
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdc1,
>        missing codepage or helper program, or other error
>        In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
>        dmesg | tail  or so
>
> root@rider:~# mount -o ro  /dev/sdc1 /mnt/sdd1
> mount: unknown filesystem type 'linux_raid_member'

Why would you want to mount it this way ? Since the meta-data are there
try to start the array with mdadm:

mdadm -A --run --uuid=6b483902:96e628c4:6a0187a1:1b75d1e2 /dev/sdc1

You can use "/dev/md1" instead of "--uuid=", "--run" means the array as
to be started even in degraded mode (one member only).
When done try to mount /dev/md1, and see what's on it.

> **I can not seem to mount /dev/sdc1 or /dev/sdd1 ---  I get errors of
> unknown file type.

Did you change the filesystem type to "fd" a.k.a. "linux raid
auto-detect" at creation time ? This is not necessary and not
recommended with 1.2 meta-data, it use to be mandatory when booting from
a 0.90 type meta-data array.

[trim]

> It looks like the /dev/sdc1 is the active one...is that the first one i
> should add the /dev/md1 ??
> Should I zero out the other drive and add it back in ??
> thanks

Yes, if /dev/md1 starts with /dev/sdc1, mount it and check that your
data are there and intact. If so, "--zero-superblock" on /dev/sdd1 and
add it back to the array, then watch the resync.

Have fun.