Re: automated editing of text files

[…]

 >> * Secondly if the add-pre-nl.sh script handle multiple file
 >> arguments then instead of \; use + so that it calls it fewer times
 >> with as many file arguments as possible.  It will be more efficient
 >> that way.

 > In this case, I prefere using « xargs » :

 > find -type f -name "*.txt" | xargs add-pre-nl.sh

 > And if there is space/single-quote/double-quote/new-line in some
 > filenames :

 > find -type f -name "*.txt" -print0 | xargs -0 add-pre-nl.sh

	And to prevent xargs(1) from starting the command if there're no
	arguments to pass (IOW, no .txt files found), -r should be used
	as well.

	Consider, e. g.:

 $ find -type f -print0 | xargs  -0 -- cat --

	vs.:

 $ find -type f -print0 | xargs -r0 -- cat --

	The former will read stdin if no regular files under the current
	directory (a subtle change in behavior of cat(1) when called
	without arguments), while the latter won't, and will just
	produce no output.

[…]

--
FSF associate member #7257