Re: Control Display Driver on Bootup

On 2011-09-17 20:21 +0200, David Baron wrote:

> Is there a way, using a bootup command or option, i.e. setting some env, that
> can control whether I use nouveau or nvidia drivers. Some startup script would
> need to
>
> 1. Copy or remove nouveau blacklist on /etc/modprob.d
> 2. Copy appropriate xorg.conf version to xorg.conf

3. Ensure that the right libGL.so.1 and libglx.so are in place (for
nouveau you need the versions from libgl1-mesa-glx
resp. xserver-xorg-core, for nvidia you need NVidia's versions).

> Would be even better if this could be handled within the two files themselves.

I think this could be handled via parsing /proc/cmdline in an
initscript, looking for parameters like "nomodeset" or
"nouveau.modeset=0".  Those render nouveau useless, so you don't even
need to do 1., assuming nouveau is _not_ blacklisted by default.

For 2. this is a matter of copying or symlinking the right file, and
3. can be achieved with "update-alternatives --set glx" in wheezy/sid,
assuming you have installed the Debian nvidia packages.

Still quite some hassle, unfortunately.

Sven