Re: Curlftpfs replacement?

On Fri, 09 Sep 2011 02:21:11 -0400
Chris Brennan <xaero@xaerolimit.net> wrote:

> On 9/8/2011 11:06 PM, Robert Blair Mason Jr. wrote:
> >
> > I've googled some, but can't seem to find any active project
> > providing FTP mounts.  Currently I've installed curlftpfs, but cf
> > wikipedia the project appears to be abandoned.  Is there a new
> > version or project that is still being developed upstream that
> > anyone here knows about?
>
> Couldn't FUSE do this? Just a thought to jump-start someone elses
> motor a bit ... If you can mount sshfs I would imagine an 'ftpfs'
> module may exist within the FUSE project, give that a try or shoot
> them a line and see if they might have some better idea's.... just
> remember that ftp is plain-text and as such, insecure... If your
> security-conscience then sshfs or sftp/scp might be a wiser choice
> (just remember that you loose speed for encryption, so it's a
> comprimise!)

FUSE can (and has) done this, but the implementation I was able to find
(FuseFtp) hasn't been updated since '05.  I looked at FUSE's wiki and
found a few active projects:
 - ferrisfuse
 - lsfs
 - fuse-workspace
The second appears to only work for reading directory listings, not
looking at files.  FUSE-workspace seems to be a tool for restructuring
the directory hierarchy that incidentally lists FTP as a feature.
ferrisfuse seems to be a tool for mounting stuff as a semantic file
system, again incidentally supporting FTP.

I do know that FTP doesn't use any encryption unless you use TLS, which
the servers I'm connecting to appear to use.  My primary motivation for
mounting FTP is to make it easier for me to browse and edit files on a
few websites I'm working on.

CurlFTPFS is working fine for me, I'd just feel better using something
that's still being developed/patched.

It seems like it'd be easy enough to hack together something with
python, ftplib, and fuse-python.  Though even fuse-python hasn't been
updated in a while... maybe one's better off using fusepy.  Anyway,
everything is harder than it seems.  Maybe if I get some spare time
later on...

--
rbmj