Re: how to change mac address back after decnet changed it?

On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 8:10 AM, Steven <redalert.commander@gmail.com> wrote:

> Some time ago, an update on my wheezy system brought in dnet-common and
> some related packages. I noticed that decnet changes the hardware
> address of my interfaces, but didn't pay much attention to it, figuring
> they would at least be unique, so I could fix up dhcp later. Having a
> different IP for some time isn't all that bad in my setup.
> However now I noticed that these hardware addresses are certainly NOT
> unique. I have a machine with 2 NICs and both have aa:00:04:00:0a:04 as
> hardware address (second one isn't plugged in physically), so is the
> eth0 interface on my laptop. This obviously can't be right.
> I already uninstalled the dnet-common package from 1 machine, but to no
> effect after rebooting. It's neither an option when reconfiguring the
> dnet-common package.
>
> So how do I get rid of that aa:00:04:00:0a:04 address? And getting the
> old ones back, note that I do not remember the old ones, nor do I have
> them all written out somewhere.
>
> This is getting pretty troublesome, as my DHCP server uses mac addresses
> to always give the same IP to some machines on the network, (keeping
> config centralized, but static IP to allow port forwarding).

It's probably hard-wired the MAC into the udev rules. Move
"/etc/udev/rules/70-persistent-net.rules" out and reboot (there's
probably a way of regenerating it with udevadm but I don't know it).
It'll be regenerated with your original MACs. You can diff the old and
new to be sure.