Re: DO NOT BUY Western Digital "Green" Drives (also present in WD "Elements" external USB cases)

On 03/09/2011 23:03, shawn wilson wrote:
So, I can understand your frustration but, 4 discs out of how many thousands they make
every day? That's not that conclusive. That said, iirc the reviews about a year ago did
say that this was a very consumer drive. I don't remember hearing them break but...

Right. Moreover, it is well known that a good raid1 array is built upon disks from different batches. This means you actually had, for example, to order WD hard drives from various resellers.

In my lab, we used several WD15EARS-32M (WD Green 1.5TB) and a few died early, as well as other HD from other brands. So, really I think the issue is almost of the time a batch issue than a brand or design issue. Maybe these WD HD have design issues, but for sure the experience depicted here is not really conclusive.

Nicolas