Re: How does apt select and priotize translations?

On Thu, 01 Sep 2011 15:29:49 +0100, Darac Marjal wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 01, 2011 at 02:12:26PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>> On Sun, 28 Aug 2011 13:54:53 +0200, Dirk Weinhardt wrote:

(...)

>> > Why is apt still querying German translations and how can that be
>> > avoided?
>>
>> (...)
>>
>> Mmm, interesting question.
>>
>> I have "es" (Spanish) and "en" (English) locales in my wheezy system
>> and get sporadic updates for both -sometimes Spanish, sometimes English
>> and sometimes for both- package descriptions but true is that I never
>> paid attention on this because I guess it only affects to
>> "descriptions" not the packages nor application themselves :-?
>>
>> Anyway, I would also like to know how this is managed, I mean, if
>> language package descriptions updates depend on the number of locale(s)
>> defined in the system or if it takes their settings from another
>> source.
>
> According to 'man apt.conf', Acquire::Languages can be set to declare
> which translations one wants downloading. The pseudo-language
> "environment" (which is part of the default setting) specifies that apt
> should check $LC_MESSAGES. However, if this doesn't include a "de"
> language, then it might actually be that Acquire::Languages was set at
> install time.
>
> Check /etc/apt/apt-conf.d/* for Acquire::Languages.

Thanks much for the detailed explanation :-)

In lenny -which I run in my main computer- "man apt.conf" does not
contain the language section (or I have badly bypassed it...). Good to
know where this setting comes from and how to tweak it.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón