Re: atfptd in squeeze won't do anything

On 01/09/11 00:38, Isaac Freeman wrote:
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I'm looking to set up a PXE server. The
permissions on the directory provided to atftpd are 777 as specified in
the usage. I don't see how host.{allow,deny} make any difference with
whether or not the server starts.

They don't affect the server starting - they are the next obstacle after the server starts ("it wouldn't take connections through the default inetd stuff" ?).

I'll give tftp-hpa a try, and I'll
look in to gpxe.

Irony(?) - looking through my notes from when I was collecting information to build my first pxe server, I see all these Lotus links... :-) I no longer have my IBM logins - but you'll find plenty of internal references (redbooks etc).

I used/use a separate machine (IPCop) for my DHCP server - so your setup will be different. Post your dhcpd.conf and if you have problems connecting clients to a running tftp server.

There's a good guide to a basic single machine setup here:-

NOTE: that is slightly different to Squeeze - replace references to /var/lib/tftpboot with /serv/tftpboot

Basic guide (note my point about me not running a dhcp server on the same box:-

*Install tftp server
# apt-get install tftpd-hpa

*Check tftp server
# netstat -uap | grep tftp
udp 0 0 *:tftp *:* 2242/inetd

If you don't get that output, please advise and I'll post the simple fix.

*Setup dhcpd.conf eg.:-

subnet 192.168.2.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
       range 192.168.2.10 192.168.2.20;
       filename "pxelinux.0";
       next-server 192.168.2.1;
       option routers 192.168.2.1;
}

*Setup server directories:-
# mkdir -v /srv/tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg
# mkdir -pv /srv/tftpboot/$distro/$release/$arch
^^ eg. /srv/tftpboot/debian/squeeze/i386

*Setup pxelinux.cfg/default (/srv/tftpboot/pexlinux.cfg/default):-
---------------------------------
DISPLAY boot.txt

DEFAULT squeeze_i386_expert_kde

LABEL squeeze_i386_expert_kde
     kernel debian/squeeze/i386/linux
append priority=low vga=normal initrd=debian/squeeze /i386/initrd.gz desktop=kde --
LABEL squeeze_i386_rescue
     kernel debian/squeeze/i386/linux
append vga=normal initrd=debian/squeeze/i386/initrd.gz rescue/enable=true --
PROMPT 1
TIMEOUT 0
--------------------------------

*Setup boot.txt (/srv/tftpbooot/pxelinux.cfg/boot.txt)
NOTE: I found there are limits to the amount of entries in this - if you strike problems let me know and I show you the (graphical) workaround.

-------------------------------
- Boot Menu -
=============

squeeze_i386_expert_kde
squeeze_i386_rescue
------------------------------

* Setup files to be served eg.:-
# cd /srv/tftpboot/
# wget -t 0 http://ftp.au.debian.org/debian/dists/squeeze/main/installer-i386/current/images/netboot/debian-installer/i386/pxelinux.0
# cd /srv/tftpboot/debian/squeeze/i386
# wget -t 0 http://ftp.au.debian.org/debian/dists/squeeze/main/installer-i386/current/images/netboot/debian-installer/i386/linux # wget -t 0 http://ftp.au.debian.org/debian/dists/squeeze/main/installer-i386/current/images/netboot/debian-installer/i386/initrd.gz

* Restart server:-
# service tftpd-hpa restart

Disclaimer - I'm working from notes and memory, *do* check my spelling. I've noted anytime I modify the default Debian settings - so if you are working with pre-installed packages double check that you didn't change default setting, or:-
# dpkg-reconfigure $whatever_package_has_been_tweaked

<snipped - top posting makes replying more trouble than it's worth>

For gPXE:-
http://etherboot.org/wiki/start

I was initially inspired by this:-

Cheers

--
"Oh sorry, I was taking life seriously."
— Bill Hicks