Re: missing modules

----- Original Message -----
From: Bob Proulx
Sent: 8/31/2011 7:48:53 PM
Subject: Re: missing modules

owens@netptc.net wrote:
> This is probably an Apache issue but with so much expertise on this
> list I thought I'd try here first.

The debian-user list is available for all questions about using
Debian. This question seems perfectly on topic here. :-)

> The problem is on my system these modules do not exist (either in
> mods-available or mods-enabled).

They should exist. Look for these files:

/etc/apache2/mods-available/userdir.conf
/etc/apache2/mods-available/userdir.load

Those files are part of the apache2.2-common package which is a
dependency pulled in by the apache2 package.

$ sudo apt-get install apache2

If you wish to verify your installation you might look at the files
listed in the apache2.2-common package:

$ dpkg --listfiles apache2.2-common | grep userdir
/etc/apache2/mods-available/userdir.load
/etc/apache2/mods-available/userdir.conf

You might also try looking at the md5sums associated with the package.

$ sudo apt-get install debsums
$ debsums --config apache2.2-common | grep userdir
/etc/apache2/mods-available/userdir.load OK
/etc/apache2/mods-available/userdir.conf OK

> Googling has found some Apache2 configurations with the modules
> available and enabled and others with the modules available but not
> enabled but none with my configuration.

You mentioned mods-available and mods-enabled but those files should
be there. But just in case let me walk through the steps for others
that might be reading along with us.

$ sudo a2enmod userdir
$ sudo service apache2 restart

Your apache configuration file is by default in the
/etc/apache2/sites-available/default file but possibly in another file
that you configured for it. I like to explicitly configure the
directory. Because I use a different default and because other
modules such as the php5 module also modify it.

Optional configuration:
<IfModule mod_userdir.c>
# Default is simply public_html in $HOME/public_html
UserDir /srv/www/public_html
</IfModule>
YMMV.

> Any suggestions (I would hate to reinstall Apache2 but if I must I must)?

Even re-installing apache isn't difficult. It is the apache2.2-common
module you would want. Make sure you have a backup of your
/etc/apache2/sites-available/default and
/etc/apache2/sites-available/default-ssl files which should be the
only ones from the package that you would configure.

apt-get install --reinstall apache2.2-common

Bob

Bob et al

Thanks for the rapid response.  I have verified that the userdir module is NOT in either mods-available NOR mods-enabled on my system.  As per your suggestion I reinstalled apache2-common but am left with the same situation (no userdir).  I viewed the contents of the Debian apache2-common package prior to installation and verified that this module IS contained but for some reason it is not being transferred with the reinstall.  Do you have any other suggestions (other than to reinstall Apache which I plan to do tomorrow)?

Larry