Re: How to reduce number of loaded kernel modules?

On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 03:39:41PM +0200, Csanyi Pal wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a rather impressive list of loaded modules. I'm not shure whether
> are they really needed?
>
> How can I know which modules I don't need so I can have those
> blacklisted?

Generally speaking, the kernel only loads modules it needs. Typical
methods for this include udev discovering hardware (so the kernel loads
the driver for it) or modules or user-space software depending on other
modules (such as how the wireless system depends on some of the hashing
modules).

So, in a normal system, the modules are loaded because they are needed.
(The corollary to this is that when modules are not needed, such as
removing a device, they are unloaded).

Blacklisting is usually only needed if you have a broken modules or
there are two modules that service your needs and you need to use the
other one (for example, a USB device might be detected as needed
cdc-ether, but you know that actually it doesn't, so you blacklist
cdc-ether).

As Debian's stock kernel is designed for maximum flexibility, having a
couple of hundred modules loaded is not unexpected.

--
Darac Marjal