Re: Package removal dependencies

On 31/08/11 21:02, Bruno Martins wrote:
Hello guys.

Is there any way to avoid this? Imagine that I simply want to remove the
evolution package.

root@sputnik:/home/joe# apt-get remove evolution
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree������
Reading state information... Done
required:

<snipped>

sound-juicer libmusicbrainz3-6

Don't worry about the autoremove stuff (unless you actually want to remove those packages - they'll still function)

The following packages will be REMOVED:
� evolution evolution-exchange gnome gnome-accessibility gnome-core
gnome-desktop-environment

gnome is a meta package that pulls in evolution - which is why removing evolution removes gnome(meta-gnome-2).

I'd go ahead with the removal - but I'd log out of the desktop first and use a console login from gdm as root.

I'm assuming that your original packages are still in /var/cache/apt/archives

After:-
# apt-get remove evolution
# apt-get -s install gnome-desktop-environment | less
and make sure gnome-core is going to be installed - add in gnome-accessibility if you want. If everything looks ok and evolution is not being reinstalled remove the -s and run the install. You might want to add your desired mua to the start of the list of packages being installed (before gnome-desktop-environment).

Also consider:-
# apt-get -s remove evolution > /root/remove_evolution
so that you've got a reference in case you have problems building your custom gnome.
This will show you dependencies and suggested packages:-
http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/gnome

<snipped>

This doesn't happen on Debian-based distributions such as Ubuntu,
neither in Fedora.

apropos of what? (and you are mistaken about Ubuntu)

Best regards,

Bruno Martins

Cheers

--
"The definition of black irony is Pro-lifers killing Doctors who do abortions"
— Bill Hicks