Re: What is the right way to use consolekit with startx?

> I've googled a plenty and tried different things without success. Any
> suggestions? Surely I'm not the only person running debian who doesn't
> use a desktop manager?

I do not pretend to know the correct way to do this,
at least I can share my experience. This works here for
starting an X session with startx or with xdm:

1 - I installed libpam-ck-connector
I do not remember if it is necessary, but
I removed the nox11 option in /etc/pam.d/common-session
file (probably for xdm, may not be necessary for startx).

Installing libpam-ck-connector is necessary because startx
has no consolekit support.

2 - I modified /etc/X11/Xsession.d/90-consolekit such as
to unconditionnally start ck-launch, like this:

-if [ -z "$GDMSESSION" ] && [ -x "$CK_LAUNCH_SESSION" ] && \
- ( [ -z "$XDG_SESSION_COOKIE" ] || is_on_console ) ; then
+if [ -z "$GDMSESSION" ] && [ -x "$CK_LAUNCH_SESSION" ] ; then
    STARTUP="$CK_LAUNCH_SESSION $STARTUP"
fi

I do not know why test fails here with xdm or with startx.

3 - For i386 (I do not need this for amd64), I had the
following line in /etc/pam.d/common-session:

session optional pam_loginuid.so

before
session optional pam_ck_connector.so

If I do not do this on i386, ck-list-session reports that
the session has no login-session-id, then it cannot be active.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Pascal Dormeau