Re: SATA 3TB: unsupported sector size -1548812288.

On 8/29/2011 12:23 PM, Rafał Radecki wrote:
Hi everyone.

I hava a problem with Debian Lenny server:

uname -a
Linux xxx 2.6.18-4-686-bigmem #1 SMP Wed Feb 21 17:30:22 UTC 2007 i686 GNU/Linux

This is an Etch system, unless it was dist upgraded to Lenny without upgrading the kernel as well. Etch shipped with 2.6.18, Lenny with 2.6.26. Neither kernel version is going to want to play nice with 3TB drives.

I connected two new disks to it:

Seagate Constellation ES.2, 3.5'', 3TB, SATA/600, 7200RPM, 64MB

BIOS sees them properly as 3TB drives, in shell I have:

brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 32 2011-08-29 19:46 /dev/sdc
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 64 2011-08-29 19:46 /dev/sde

But fdisk doesn't recognize them and demsg shows errors for both:

sde : very big device. try to use READ CAPACITY(16).
sde : unsupported sector size -1548812288.
SCSI device sde: 0 512-byte hdwr sectors (0 MB)
sde: Write Protect is off
sde: Mode Sense: 00 3a 00 00
SCSI device sde: drive cache: write back
sd 4:0:0:0: Attached scsi disk sde

Has enyone had a similar problem? What is this READ CAPACITY? How can
I correct "unsupported sector size" and why it could occur?

I haven't "seen" an issue in this regard because I'm informed enough to know a 4 year old kernel isn't going to work with 3TB drives, nor 3-4 year old user space disk tools. The error message above actually tells you the disk is too big for the kernel driver.

Upgrade to Squeeze and the most recent Squeeze kernel. There is no compatibility or other reason I know of that would force one to stay on Lenny (or God forbid Etch, if you're still running it). Do

$ cat /etc/debian_version

to determine what dist version you're actually running.

--
Stan