Re: Why s port 111 still open?

On 29/08/11 19:38, Lisi wrote:
I was under the impression that I had cleansed my system of rpcbind after the
security discussion on this list.  Today, because I was trying to remove
Samba, I ran nmap to see what was going on.  Here is the "conversation" I had
with Tux just now:

<quote>
lisi@Tux:~$ nmap Tux

Starting Nmap 4.62 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2011-08-29 10:31 BST
Interesting ports on Tux (192.168.0.2):
Not shown: 1711 closed ports
PORT     STATE SERVICE
22/tcp   open  ssh
80/tcp   open  http
111/tcp  open  rpcbind
6881/tcp open  bittorrent-tracker

Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 0.126 seconds
lisi@Tux:~$ which rpcbind
lisi@Tux:~$ whereis rpcbind
rpcbind:
lisi@Tux:~$ locate rpcbind
lisi@Tux:~$ find rpcbind
find: `rpcbind': No such file or directory
lisi@Tux:~$
</quote>

Do I need to do anything about it, or should I just take no notice?

Thanks,
Lisi

=======Copy of what I just posted to Yuri query=========

Probably portmap...

See if it's installed
$ dpkg --get-selections portmap

If it is, and it bothers you, it can be removed - check and see if anything uses it:-
# apt-get -s remove portmap | less

If it's the only package to be removed:-
# apt-get --purge remove portmap

Check your port:-
$ netstat -an | grep 111

SUN RPC is another protocol that uses that port.

Cheers

--
"I've got a bathtub and an imagination, I'm staying indoors this summer.
That way I can listen to music that I like."