Re: free software & accessibility

[…]

 > Apart from your eyes!

	Good point.  Thanks.

 > eg. help identifying hardware at an installfest.

	We weren't planning one, AFAIK.

	It was in our plans to prepare Debian Live images to be written
	on USB Flash drives to anyone interested in trying Debian.  And
	to have a display room running Debian Live as well.

[…]

 >> Well, that's certainly something to offer.  However, I doubt that
 >> there would be enough (or even any) developers interested in that in
 >> our locality.

 > You could give away DVDs, though it's running late to apply for
 > funding, it's probably still possible.

	We could probably burn some DVD+R's on our own, I guess.

[…]

 > If you approach your local disability support groups you'll probably
 > get plenty of suggestions - and if you can help with
 > transport/directions they *will* come.

	ACK.  Thanks.

	(Actually, I don't even know how many are there computer users
	among the sight impaired persons in our locality.  Hopefully
	we'd manage to find someone to help us on that matter.)

 > If you were interested in doing that - these links might be useful in
 > finding ways to advertise your events (and find helpers):-

 > http://mnadamovfund.org/
 > http://www.icevi-europe.org/national/ru.html
 > http://www.sibdisnet.ru/

	(There should be a library of the all-Russian Blinds' Society in
	our locality.  Probably we should start from there.)

[…]

 >>> Festival and espeak do - I don't know how well though

 >> ACK.  I'd try to check it out.

 >> Any particular examples of software these could be used with?

 > With KDE - everything.

	Personally, I'm not familiar with either KDE or Gnome, and've
	last experimented with them nearly a decade ago.

	Honestly, I don't quite grasp the DE concept, and I've decided
	that such a software increases both the eye-strain and CPU load
	for no apparent gain for me.

	I guess that there're some KDE (Gnome) users among the
	organizers, but I'd like to check for other solutions just as
	well.  (Somehow, I believe that speech synthesizers are usable
	without any DE or GUI altogether.  But I'm open to hear any
	success or failure stories on that part.)

[…]

 >>> (ваша оценка может измениться)

 >> Is that YMMV as translated by Google?

 > Yes. Let's blame Google.  Stupid Google! ;-p

	To paraphrase an old saying, “never teach translation to a
	machine, for you're likely to fail, and will annoy both the
	machine and its users.”

 >> Funny enough, but it reads rather like Your Mileage May Change.
 >> (“May vary” would be “может отличаться” in Russian in this case.)

 > vary - differ?

	Yes.  And “Mileage” would be “километраж” literally.  (Almost;
	sans the difference between Metric and Imperial units.)

[…]

--
FSF associate member #7257	Coming soon: Software Freedom Day