Re: A Question about Journalling File Systems and Flash Drives

[…]

 > Full backups:-

 > dd if=/dev/deb_usb | gzip -1 -c > ./deb_usb.img.gz

 > Full restores:-

 > zcat ./deb_usb.img.gz | dd of=/dev/deb_usb

	My e2dis suite, which I hopeful to release soon, will probably
	be a better fit for such image-level backups.  Namely, it'd
	allow one to identify the free blocks on an Ext2+ FS and only
	copy the rest.

https://gitorious.org/e2dis

 > rsync on a daily basis.

	I'd second that using rsync(1) instead of cp(1) when copying to
	flash media is a good idea, as it reduces both wear and the time
	necessary to make a copy.

[…]

--
FSF associate member #7257	Coming soon: Software Freedom Day