Re: Is seagate goflex compatible with debian

Thanks Andrew,

On Sat, Aug 27, 2011 at 11:02 PM, Andrew McGlashan
<andrew.mcglashan@affinityvision.com.au> wrote:
> Hi Lina,
>
> lina wrote:
>>
>> Today I checked this one on store,
>>

>> http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/external/external-hard-drive/portable-hard-drive
>
> I have a couple of these at a client site using Windows 2008 Server. Sure,
> not Linux, but the software on the drive "Premium-grade software simplifies
> backups & synchronization" .... if you don't intend to use that software,
> then I am very sure that the drive will work fine on Linux.  However please
> read further.
>
>> is it compatible with mine OS: x86_64 GNU/Linux ?
>> How about 64-bit kernel Mac OS X?
>
> It's a drive with a standard interface.  The drive worked when plugged
> directly into the motherboard of the above machine with data and power (SATA
> connectors).  The machine in question now has a USB 3.0 card installed and
> the drive is working off that now.
>
> When the drive was directly connected, it reported a model number.  I looked
> up the details and found that it wasn't as impressive as I had hoped.  From
> memory, I think this is the actual drive [1].
>

>   Capacity: 1.5TB
>   Speed: 5400 RPM
>   Cache: 16MB
>   Drive size: 14.8mm (not regular 9.5mm)
>   Interface: SATA
>   2.5” size
>   Model: ST1000LM003
>
> So, being 2.5" form factor is nice, and so is USB 3.0, but the RPM and cache
> are low .... it isn't a SATA III drive as I would have expected to support
> the higher USB 3.0 speeds.
>
> There was also a suggestion that the drives were "Momentus XT", similar to
> these 500GB ones [2], but with higher capacity -- if these drives were those
> ones but in 1500MB capacity, then it would have been fantastic.
>
> Sadly, I am not seeing anywhere near the performance that was expected with
> the drive you are looking at buying.   :(

The lady in that store suggested me to bring the laptop to test before buy it.
(They only have a windows laptops there,
such a nice lady,
in future if I need any electronic things I certainly will consider
there first.)
BTW, how do I examine the Cache?

Thanks again for your reply,

Best regards,