Re: A Question about Journalling File Systems and Flash Drives

Martin McCormick wrote at 2011-08-26 11:25 -0500:
> How hard is the ext3 file system on present-day flash drives?

Not much worse than without a journal I think, but

> 	What got me to thinking was that I have a system using
> conventional magnetic-based hard drives and ext3 file systems.
> The second hard drive is not used as often and I noticed that
> the system shuts it down to rest until one calls for a file off
> the secondary drive. If the journal for all drives is on the
> boot drive, then that explains everything.

Normally, the journal for a filesystem is stored in the same partition as the
filesystem.

> If not, one would
> expect the secondary drive to be awake all the time since the
> journal would write every five seconds or so.

If nothing is being written to the drive, nothing needs to be written to the
journal. A sync does nothing if there is nothing in the buffers.