Re: howto boot from the second disk in raid 1

Bob Proulx wrote:
>   # grub
>   grub> device (hd0) /dev/sdb
>   grub> root (hd0,0)
>   grub> setup (hd0)
>   grub> quit

Oh!  I made an (hd0,0) assumption above and didn't explain it.  That
valud may be different depending upon your configuration.  But in the
old grub you can search for it like this:

  grub> find /grub/stage1
  (hd0,0)
  (hd1,0)

On my system /boot is in /dev/md0 and that is actually /dev/sda1 and
/dev/sdb1 and so the files are found in (hd0,0) and (hd1,0).
Therefore mapping /dev/sdb to hd0 means (hd0,0) will be /dev/sdb1.  If
you have /boot some place else then your information will need to be
different.

Again, the new grub is probably completely different.  I haven't
worked with it enough to know how to drive it at this level.

Bob