Re: howto boot from the second disk in raid 1

On 8/23/2011 12:50 PM, abdelkader belahcene wrote:
> *hi,
> I installed squeeze  on 2 disks sata  using  raid 1.

Hardware/mobo fakeraid, or Linux MD RAID (mdadm)?  Please state mobo
brand and model#, as well as any IDE/SATA PCI/e cards.

> the system runs fine with both disks,  it runs fine with the first disk
> alone,
>

> but it fails to  reboot from the second disk alone.
> although  i installed  grub in both disks
>
> when i used the second disk alone,  it is detected as slave!!!!  no master
> disk detected!!!,
> so the system reboot without stopping!!!!
>
> is there a possibility to declare the disk as master???
>
> thanks for help
>  *

SATA doesn't have "master" and "slave" designations, so I'd say you're
using IDE disks, or your system BIOS is funky.  Also, Master and Slave
don't mean what you apparently think they do.  These settings have
nothing to do with software, should not affect boot order, or how Linux
runs.  In the world or IDE/PATA, you can have a single slave device on a
cable in absence of a "Master" device.  Think of "Master" and "Slave" as
"0" and "1" instead.  They are simply designations, but given horribly
bad names decades ago by engineers with brain damage.

Regardless, you should be able to configure the boot order in the BIOS
to do whatever you want, unless of course this is a really old PC.

--
Stan